Bodoland Territorial Area Districts ( BTAD ) will now be renamed to Bodoland Territorial Region (BTR) with more administrative powers. A tripartite peace accord for final settlement will fulfill all the key political and economic demands of Bodoland.
The Centre and the Assam government on Monday signed an accord with banned insurgent group National Democratic Front of Bodoland. promising to fulfil the outfit’s key political and economic demands, including safeguarding the Bodo language and culture. A sports university and job-oriented higher-education institutions are expected to be part of the pact.
The agreement was signed by Union Home Minister Amit Shah, Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal and the four factions of the militant group in New Delhi. The All Bodo Students’ Union, which has been spearheading a movement for a Bodoland state, was also signatory to the accord.
Union home minister Amit Shah stated ” About 4000 people died in the Bodo movement. This historic agreement will usher in a new dawn of peace, progress and prosperity in the state of Assam” in his tweet
About 4000 people died in the Bodo movement. This historic agreement will usher in a new dawn of peace, progress and prosperity in the state of Assam.
— Amit Shah (@AmitShah) January 27, 2020
Assam finance minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said that a special package of Rs 900 crore has been granted by the Centre for overall development of the Bodoland areas.
Key points of new peace Accord
- The number of seats in BTAD will be increased from 40 to 60
- A central university will be set up at Barama in the name of Upendra Nath Brahma
- Special industrial policy for BTAD
- Railway coach factory to be set up in BTAD area
- Sports Authority of India (SAI) centre to be set up at Udalguri, Baksa and Chirang
- DC, SP will be appointed in consultation with BTC authority
- A National Sports University will be set up
- Autonomous Welfare Council for the Bodo people living outside BTAD areas
- A Cancer Hospital and Medical College will be set up in Tamulpur
- GOI to expedite the process of granting Hills tribe status to Bodos living in Hills areas
- A veterinary college will be set up at Kumarikata
- A central university and RIIMS will be set up in Udalguri