GUWAHTI- The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has made a fifth arrest in the case of, abduction and killing of two Meitei students.
A 22-year-old man was arrested by the CBI in Maharashtra’s Pune on Friday, 13 October, according to news agency PTI.
According to media report, A CBI official said the accused, identified as Paolun Mang, was arrested on October 11 and is being questioned. After committing the incident, he was hiding in Pune and further investigations are on. A special court in Guwahati sent him to CBI custody till 16 October, as per the report.
On 1 October, the CBI had arrested two men, Paominlun Haokip and Smalsawm Haokip, and two women, Lhingneichong Baitekuki and Tinneilhing Henthang, in connection with the same case.
Hijam Linthoingami (17) and Phijam Hemjit (20), both Meiteis, went missing on July 6 this year. Photos of their bodies surfaced on September 25, leading to violent protests.
The CBI had registered two cases on August 23 on the request of the Manipur government and took over the investigation of these cases earlier registered by the state police on the complaints of parents of minor victim. During the investigation of these cases, four persons have been arrested,” a CBI spokesperson had said.
The father of the minor girl filed a complaint with the Manipur Police saying she did not return home from her coaching centre at the usual time. “On enquiry, they came to know that she left the coaching centre along with a 17-year-old boy on a motorbike. Next day, when her mother made a call on her mobile, the daughter responded but suddenly stopped.
During the investigation, the police found that on July 6, the accused as well as the victim girl were pushed inside a four-wheeler vehicle and taken by some armed miscreants around Laimaton.
CCTV footage later found that the girl and the accused passed through Old Cachar Road on July 6. Their bodies had been buried later somewhere near Lukhrrabkhul Ground in Joujangtek.