KIM Extends Shutdown Across Kuki-Zo Areas Amid Continued Hostage Tensions
Kuki Inpi Manipur extended the ongoing shutdown in Kuki-Zo inhabited areas while security forces and church leaders continued efforts to secure the release of hostages and ease tensions between Kuki and Naga communities.

IMPHAL- The Kuki Inpi Manipur (KIM), one of the apex organisations representing the Kuki tribal community, on Thursday extended the ongoing shutdown across Kuki-Zo inhabited areas by another 48 hours over the continued detention of 14 members of the community since May 13.
Announcing the extension, KIM Information and Publicity Secretary Janghaolun Haokip said the decision was taken due to the continued detention and alleged hostage-taking of Kuki-Zo individuals in Naga-dominated Senapati district.
KIM stated that the immediate and unconditional release of all hostages remains its primary concern. The organisation also maintained that despite growing tensions following the killing of three Kuki-Zo church leaders on May 13, the community had continued to exercise restraint in the interest of peace and coexistence.
Also Read- Massive Arms Haul in Manipur: Security Forces Recover 67 Weapons in Imphal West
According to the statement, the Kuki-Zo community had facilitated safe passage for more than 200 Naga individuals even after reports of abductions and detentions surfaced. KIM described the move as a humanitarian gesture aimed at maintaining communal harmony during the ongoing crisis.
The organisation further stated that the president of the Maralui Karalimei Swijoikang, also known as the Maram Students’ Union, was released on humanitarian grounds as part of efforts to reduce tensions between the two communities.
Referring to earlier incidents, Haokip said that during the Litan-related tensions in Ukhrul district in March this year, members of the Kuki-Zo community had facilitated the release of 21 Tangkhul Naga hostages despite casualties suffered by their own community during the violence.
Also Read- Tension Escalates in Manipur as 20 Civilians Remain Missing
KIM also claimed that five Naga individuals were released by the Kuki-Zo side along the IT Road on May 14 as part of confidence-building efforts intended to prevent further escalation.
Meanwhile, police officials said more than 40 individuals belonging to both Kuki and Naga communities had been held hostage in different parts of Kangpokpi and Senapati districts following the violence that erupted on May 13. According to officials, nearly 30 people from both communities were later released on May 14 and 15 following intervention by authorities, community leaders and civil society organisations.
Normal life continued to remain severely affected across Kuki-Zo inhabited areas, particularly in Kangpokpi district, where KIM had imposed a total shutdown following the killing of three Baptist church leaders and injuries to four others earlier this month.
Also Read- Border Tensions Rise Again in Lapangap Despite Ongoing Assam-Meghalaya Talks
Members of the Naga community have also staged demonstrations in several districts demanding the release of villagers who are reportedly still being held captive.
Security officials said joint search operations by state and central forces continued on Thursday for the ninth consecutive day in Kangpokpi, Senapati and adjoining areas to rescue those still being held hostage by armed groups.
Amid efforts to ease tensions, a 10-member delegation of church leaders has been visiting Senapati district since Tuesday to facilitate dialogue between the Naga and Kuki communities. The delegation had earlier met Chief Minister Yumnam Khemchand Singh and discussed the prevailing situation in the affected districts.
According to government officials, the church leaders later held meetings with representatives of the United Naga Council (UNC), the Naga People’s Organisation (NPO), and other civil society organisations to explore ways to reduce tensions arising from the recent violence and hostage incidents.
Meanwhile, the North East Students’ Organisation (NESO) expressed concern over repeated incidents of violence, abductions and intimidation of civilians in the region. Following a meeting in Guwahati, the organisation said the incidents had created an atmosphere of fear and insecurity across parts of the Northeast.









