Kashmir issue LIVE UPDATE: Union Home Minister Amit Shah has announced in Rajya Sabha that the government has decided to repeal Article 370 of the Constitution which grants special status to J&K. The government has also decided to bifurcate the state into two Union territories – Jammu and Kashmir, which will have a legislature, and Ladakh, which will be without a legislature.
- Indian Army and the Indian Air Force have been put on high alert today following the scrapping of Article 370 and other decisions announced by Government in Parliament.
Revoking Article 370 ends power-sharing deals between Indian govt and Kashmiri political elite
- Article 370 in Kashmir: Amit Shah said the UT in Ladakh will have no legislature like Chandigarh
- Article 370 in Kashmir, A bold and historic decision- Sushma Swaraj
- Not first time, Congress too amended Article 370 in the past- Amit Shah
- All clauses of Article 370 will not be applicable in J&K- Amit Shah
My complements to the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi ji and the Home Minister Shri Amit Shah for correcting a historical blunder.
— Arun Jaitley (@arunjaitley) August 5, 2019
Amit Shah also presented a resolution for reorganisation of Jammu and Kashmir. Ladakh will be a separate Union Territory without a legislature while the Jammu and Kashmir will be a Union Territory with a legislature.
Home Minister Amit Shah moves a resolution in the Rajya Sabha to revoke Article 370 from Jammu and Kashmir.
- As soon as he moved the resolution, the opposition parties created ruckus in the House, forcing the Chair to adjourn the House briefly.
- Last night, former chief ministers Omar Abdullah, Mehbooba Mufti and other state leaders were allegedly put under house arrest in Srinagar
- They added that former CMs Omar and Mehbooba will not be allowed to move out of their respective houses in view of the restrictions.