Ahead of the publication of the draft NRC, the Home Ministry on Wednesday asked the Assam government not to take any action against those whose names do not figure in the list of the state’s citizens.
In an advisory, the ministry also asked the governments of Assam and neighbouring states to ensure peace and maintenance of law and order
“No action should be initiated by the administration or the police based on the draft NRC. There is no question of referring the persons, whose names do not figure in the draft NRC to the Foreigners Tribunal, as people are entitled to file claims and objections and due opportunity has to be given to them before final publication,” mentioned in the advisory.
Further the advisory said that “The question of referring any person to a detention centre based on the NRC exercise also does not arise. The State government has been asked to issue clear instructions in this regard to all administrative and police functionaries,”.
The Government of Assam has been advised to set up a state-level coordination committee under the chairmanship of the Chief Secretary to ensure coordination among the state agencies, NRC authorities and Central agencies. Round-the-clock control rooms at the State capital and district headquarters are to be activated to receive complaints and coordinate prompt response, official sources said.
The Registrar General of India (RGI) has been asked to use all means of communication, including websites, toll-free numbers, SMS to provide information to public about the draft NRC. An intensive public awareness campaign has been launched to disseminate information regarding the NRC process, options available for individuals whose names do not figure in the draft NRC, the procedure and timeline for filing claims and objections, etc., so as to address the concerns of people left out of the draft list.
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh had earlier assured that every individual would get justice and be treated in a humane manner. “All individuals will have sufficient opportunity for the remedies available under the law. The government wants to make it clear that after the draft NRC publication on July 30 adequate opportunity for claims and objections will be available. All claims and objections will be duly examined,” he had said.
Meanwhile, Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju said in the Rajya Sabha today that the Government of Bangladesh recently verified the nationality and issued travel documents for deportation of 52 Bangladeshi nationals, who are in various detention camps in Assam.
The Government of Assam has been advised to take necessary action to deport these Bangladeshi nationals as soon as possible, he said, adding, deportation of these Bangladeshi nationals is within the powers of the Government of Assam.
As per information available, 39 Bangladeshi nationals were deported from detention camps in Assam during the last two years (2016 and 2017) after following the due process of law.