Katihar division had earlier successfully facelift the heritage Elysia building at Kurseong which now houses a museum.
A magnificent heritage building built in 1921 that housed the Railway Recruitment Board / Siliguri office was lying abandoned after the closure of RRB office at Siliguri Town station under Katihar division.
The vast open area in front of building was also sought by State Govt for setting up of a power substation by taking the land on lease. However, considering the heritage value of the property, N. F. Railway’s Katihar Division had decided to restore the two-storied building.
Accordingly, it was recently repaired and made reusable at an approximate cost of Rs. 10 lakh. The building is planned to be used as RPF barrack / Office.
As the Siliguri Town station area has many encroachments and the area is generally highly encroachment-prone the re-occupation of the building will help in avoiding encroachment of building and vacant areas.
It may be mentioned that Katihar division had earlier successfully facelift the heritage Elysia building at Kurseong which now houses a museum. The Elysia building was the headquarters of the Assam Rail-link Project soon after the partition.
The present successful restoration and re-use of a heritage building has added feathers to the cap of N. F. Railway’s heritage conservation efforts.